Reasons I Love Bavaria: Wildwochen

I'm going to start talking more about reasons I love Bavaria.  I have been living here for a year now and though I love sharing my travel posts from all over Europe, I can't discount the amazing amount of activites, restaurants, fests, events, markets, and overall amazingness of Bavaria.  I'm growing to like living here more and more. 

Wildwochen, which means wild weeks or game weeks is the period between mid October to mid November where limited restaurants around Bavaria serve specialty wild game cuisine.  It is a culinary delight that includes restaurants with special chefs that come to specifically cook these special meals.
The food comes directly from the surrounding forrest and is shot by local hunters.


 What makes this food different than other times of the year?  Well, during this time you can sample fresh meats such as wild boar, rabbit, venison, pheasant, fish, and pork.  They also use other fresh ingredients like wild mushrooms and cranberries sauces, dumplings, and fresh salads to bring the whole meal together.  During wildwochen, many restaurants also have entertainment planned and reservations are a must, especially since many of the restaurants are small local spots.  My small little town luckily has two restaurants that participate in wildwochen and people come from all over to take part in this magical time.

I normally don't like to wax poetically about meat in general (as I am not a huge fan) but these meats are fresh, local, free of preservatives, and organic.  That's about as good as it gets for eating meat.  I orginally thought I would be giving up pork specifically when I moved to Germany, but that is like their main dish, so that didn't quite work out. 

Below are some of the typical dishes you can find during wildwochen:


If you happen to find yourself in Bavaria during this time and see a sign for "Wildwochen"  do not hesitate to check it out.  You won't be dissapointed!



There are three more days to enter in my GIVEAWAY for a tree of life pendant by Tangled CitrineENTER HERE!


11 comments :

  1. Nice dishes, greeting from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to live in Bavaria one day! Currently I'm in Mainz, which is closer than ever, but not quite! Hopefully I'll be able to visit soon though!

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love living in Bavaria. So much to do. How do you like Mainz, I've never been there?

      Delete
  3. Wow...how neat! Thanks for sharing!

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious, Brittany! Thanks for sharing and thanks for joining in my link party today!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing like super fresh ingredients in the hands of talented chefs. How lucky that you have two participating restaurants in your town. These dishes look amazing! Visiting from the No Passport Required Link party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum. I must admit that I really loved the food in Munich (sadly the only city I visited in Bavaria) and given my love of game meat in South Africa, I think I'd really enjoy the food during this week. Makes me think I'd skip Oktoberfest and come during this week instead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mouth is watering and it isn't even 7 a.m. here! Most interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the dishes looks like the wild boar we ate in Vienna. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers! Questions and comments welcome. I try to respond to everyone (I respond back to your comments on the comments page so check back for a response). Thanks for reading!

-Brittany Ruth